Follow by Email

Friday, July 11, 2014

Fran's Garden

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. 
Attributed to Heather Pryor



Yesterday was a fun day. Fran and I spent the day together and I got to take some pics of her garden. It's around 20 years old and mostly shade. you can see the huge pine trees in the background of this first picture. She originally wanted to create 3 sections each with one color flower but, as you know, flowers have a mind of their own! 
Fran's style is very free-spirited. Mostly, she lets her plants grow where they seed themselves but, on occasion, she moves some around. Especially if things get too congested. There are always pots filled with stragglers that she generously gives away.  


This is her fish pond. It's a great place to sit, listen to the water and chat.



Looking downhill from where the garden and woods meet.


Her potting shed with red Bee Balm in the front.


This Echinachea is a new addition. 


I love the shape of this blossom.


Fran loves small, unassuming flowers. I wish I could tell you the name of this one......no memory.


White Loosestrife just starting to bloom. 


Baptisia pods

Here's one of the many stepping stones Fran's sister, Debby, has given her over the years. 


Daylilies


The pond has several fish. A Blue Heron made a very expensive meal of several mature fish so Fran has replaced them with smaller fish that are doing great. Her son, Paul, made a framed screen to cover the pond. 


Lily Pads. Usually, there are frogs enjoying the pond. Maybe they became Heron food as well.


This pot has a water feature on the bottom that is used with an ultraviolet light to kill algae.


I love the way the grass cascades into the pond. 


I'm so glad the Hydrangea was in bloom! This picture doesn't do the color justice.


What I'm grateful for today is my good friend, Fran. We met about 15 years ago in a small group at the church we attended. One of the things I appreciated about being in a cell church is that you often meet and love people outside your circle of friends. I could have missed out on one of the best friendships I've ever had! Fran's generous, intelligent and kind and a joy to have as a friend.

Happy Gardening, Flower Freak








4 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

Fran's garden is gorgeous! How wonderful that you share the same passion! Her pond is just awesome as well! And this post has reminded me that I would like to have some White Loosestrife in my space! Glad you were able to spend the day together to take in the beauty and share it with us! A wonderful weekend to you! Nicole xoxo

Pauline said...

What a lovely garden your friend has, gardening friends speak the same language don't they! The pond is lovely and I'm sure the wildlife enjoys it too, apart from the heron!

CYNTHIA CRANE said...

There is such a cool, refreshing feeling to Fran's garden that comes across in your lovely photos. Thank you for sharing them!

Janneke said...

Thank you for the walk in Fran's garden, I think it's a lovely place to spend the day.